Tuesday, April 6, 2010

To Dye For (or maybe not)

Last week I discovered what I thought was an awesome idea on Martha Stewart's website.
(original post from last week)

The idea: Lace Eggs

The outcome: No Lace Eggs

Let's see what happened...

Instructions

Tools and Materials
Eggs
Standard egg dye
Rubber Bands
Inexpensive lace trimmings
Scissors
Foam Board fitted with flathead pins

Lace Egg How-to

1. Cut lace into strips long enough to wrap around eggs and still have enough to form a sash for holding

2. Wrap eggs, securing lace with rubber bands. Dye eggs according to dye pachage instructions. Lift out, cut off rubber bands, and unwrap lace. Let dry on foam board fitted with flathead pins.

 Our Attempt


We started with our necessities: gloves, dye, lace, eggs!


And we boiled...


Here is my dear mother helping with the Easter project!


We cut strips of lace long enough to fit around the egg and leave a tail for holding. We secured the lace as tightly as I could without breaking the egg (I did break one) with clear poly hair bands.

 We then allowed them to soak in the bowls of dye I prepared while the eggs were boiling and cooling.


This is where we must have gone wrong. Some of the eggs did have a trace of the lace edges but I cannot say that the lace transfered. After we let the first egg soak for 15 minutes, I got disappointed and went back to the original post to see where we went wrong. I located the comments.
It appears that others had the same disappointment.

Next time (and there will be a next time because I think the outcome would be worth it),
I will try warmer water and a tighter hold.

Looking back, I should have tried some of the suggestions listed by the commenters: hotter water, a tighter hold, nylon covering, stretch lace. But, we were running short on time and I just decided to "amend" my idea and go back to the original idea of.....

shades of green.

Here is the outcome....



Did you try the lace eggs? Did it work for you?

Happy Cooking!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment