Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, Oh how your garden....

GROWS!!!!

As the first few days of Spring arrived, I pulled out my shovel,
black and decker screwdriver, two 4x8 cedar posts, four 2x4 cedar posts and went to town!

I had a small space by my back door in the garden and I wanted to make a vegetable garden. With the help of the Hubby and Hubby's Dad, I designed and built a raised cedar vegetable garden.

Here are some pictures from the first few days...


Being very practical, I planted vegetables that we liked. I mean really, what's the point of planting food we wont eat!?!? So, in went the lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson and Raddicio), artichoke, and three tomatoe plants - we love tomoatoes! We also tried a few by seed - french green beans, butternut squash, zuchini, yellow squash, cucumber, and edamame.

A few weeks later....

Signs of Life

and then even more...

Green Beans!

See the little seedlings coming up on the right? That is the Zucchini!!!

We have been enjoying our salads straight from the garden to the table....
 




Now, today, I went into the garden, one month later.... and I sang to myself... Mary, Mary, Quite contrary, OH how my garden has grown!!!


Celery                                               Corn                                                   Tomatoes
More Tomatoes!!!

and Celery!

I even got really brave and planted a fairytale pumpkin by seed...

Happy Gardening and Happy Cooking!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment