Friday, November 19, 2010

Royal Icing and Sugar Cookies, Part Two

A few weeks ago, I posted Birthday Cookies and detailed our first time experience with Royal Icing. Since we had so much fun the first time and I am trying to master (okay, maybe not master, just survive) this technique, I wanted to try it again. 

We had the perfect opportunity on Halloween weekend because we were invited to a (now in it's second year) annual kid friendly Halloween Party.

Ghosts and Pumpkins were the items of the hour.

Here is what I tried differently this time...
The rolling of the dough: I tried a thinner cookie this time around. I think that it worked well, it just requires constant observation in the oven to ensure that your cookies do not overcook and become brittle. I like my sugar cookies to be moist and slightly chewy. You don't want to break a tooth when you bit into one!







Piping the icing: I really tried to take my time. Next time, I will make the piping icing a bit thinner, it was still a little too thick. I really want the piped line to melt away into the flooding icing. I felt that on some of the cookies you could see the piped line. I will continue to try and perfect that!





Flooding: I was pleased with our flooding process this time!


We did have one "overflow" which was due to the piped icing not fulling holding the flood!


The ghosts needed eyes and the pumpkins needed stems, so we mixed up some green icing.




All in all, the second time around was a lot less stressful and really fun! My mother helped me and we enjoyed baking together!


They did not mind taste testing either!


Happy Haunting!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment