Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Tribute to Mothers by Clayford T. Grimm

Aside from being a wife and mother of twins, I am an Attorney. I teach and practice law with my father. We are currently in the process of moving our offices and will now be officing with my husband's firm. (We like to keep in all in the family, as you can see!)

Yesterday,  I spent a greater part of the day, packing up my current office deciding what goodies I wanted to bring home to my home office. I packed up a lot of goodies, came home and thought to myself, "Self, where are you going to put all of this?" I didn't really say "Self" - I just like the sound of it. Of course, this line of thought ensued a "cleaning" of the awesome office closet my husband built out for me last Christmas which currently just stresses me out every time I open the door because of all of the stuff in it. In order to understand why it is an absolute disaster...let's go back a moment.

You may remember that my parents have also recently moved and I have been the lucky recipient of many "I don't know what to do with this so I am giving it to you" items - a lot of which I totally love and the other items that I don't know what to do with have ended up in the awesome office closet that my husband built out for me.

Fast forward to today, I am cleaning the awesome closet so that I can use it and I can deal with all of the goodies that I am bringing home.

If you have ever moved you will understand what happened to me. At first I was extremely diligent, tossing what I didn't need, swiftly moving through items, putting them in their place. Then, slowly I became enthralled with this one box in particular and now here I am telling you about it with the closet still not tidy and stuff all over my office. I felt,however, that this one particular item that I found warranted the time to share with you.

It is a poem written by my Grandfather, the namesake of my son, C.T. Grimm. Clayford Thomas Grimm was born in Buchanan, West Virginia and fought in WWII, namely the Battle of the Bulge. 

My Grandfather wrote this poem while at war. 

TRIBUTE TO MOTHERS
by
Clayford T. Grimm
(Written during the Battle of the Ardenses Forest)

From sky and cloud and even star
Come down to this degenerate place,
A deluge of rain, of snow and mire
To make even worse this war so bare.
But through it all and even beyond
The queen of our life gives light for dawn.

When the going is hard and this weather rough,
We think of her and we think of home.
We think of the Jerry who's plenty tough,
as o'er this field of death we roam.
The elements torture and all the threats,
 But the thought of home gives strength to vets.

Through peril of death and agony untold
We dream a thousand dreams of her.
Our life as kids begins to unfold,
And hidden emotions begin to stir.
But we bat an eye and clear a throat, 
And say, "Ah, hell," and think of the boat.

All of this and maybe more
Prohibits us and blocks our way
Oh, how we long to see that door
Again to be at home some day.
We pray that God will save our life
Bring us through this unholy strife. 




No comments:

Post a Comment