Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Cabinets a la "It's the little things that make a house a home"

It is a rainy cold day in what is supposed to be "sunny" Texas!

The kids are down for a nap and so I am taking this chance to tell you about an awesome blog!

I know that I created this blog for foodie lovers and my new year's resolution, but I do do other things besides cook! So, I wanted to share more than just food - hope you don't mind!

This year has been filled with cooking and "do it yourself" projects in our home.

I felt that it was necessary to give a shout out to a blog that I have been following recently that is full of wonderful creative inspirational ideas. I initially found Karla's blog while searching for colored chalk board paint. (I was considering using it for the top of a child's play table that belonged to my great grandfather that I refinished - more about that later!) Anyhow, Karla had a post from a Martha Stewart article about how to make your own chalk board paint in any color! I did not end up using the chalk board paint recipe but I really took a liking to her blog! (and, I am still looking for a project where I can use the chalkboard paint!)

ANYWAYS.....

Have you seen this blog???


I love it! Karla is amazingly creative!!! Not only do I LOVE the title of her blog, I love her ideas!

This week I attempted my first project from her blog.

Here is her idea....
You take "A big, closed wall of oak" - Karla


and turn it into.... 

a showcase!!!


See how she did it at .....


So, with this idea in mind.... I got to work while the kids were napping and the hubby was tucked away at his office. I pulled everything from ALL of our kitchen cabinets - we have A LOT of kitchen cabinets - which is great for storage - but it tends to make you turn into a pack rat! So, after everything was all over the kitchen counters, I got to work. I reorganized the entire kitchen! I LOVE IT!!!! and.... even if hubby decides that he does not like the doors off of the kitchen cabinets, at least the cabinets are now organized. (HA!)

I think that he will like it once he gives it a chance.... right Hubby!?!?!

It is funny - I kept thinking to myself while I was pulling all of contents of my cabinets down, why did we put this here???? Then I remembered that it was exactly where we put it five years ago when it came out the box when we moved in! So, I figured it was high time I did something about it.

As for the doors to the cabinets, I wanted to pull out my electric screw driver and go to town, but the hubby wants to help with removing the doors and therefore it is going to be our Saturday morning project! I promise to post pictures of our transformation!

On another note... does anyone have any suggestions for an olympic opening ceremonies dinner? I have been racking my brain trying to come up with something festive! All I have thought of so far is onion rings to make the circles! Silly, I know.... I would love any suggestions!

Happy Cooking!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment