Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Whale of a Watermelon...

It just wouldn't be a "Summer in the South" without a Whale of a Watermelon!



Memories of my childhood involve hot days in central Texas and cool bites of delicious watermelon from a watermelon boat. For years, I watched my mother carefully carve beautiful watermelon boats. My first attempt at a Watermelon Whale was with my dear friend Millie. Again, another hot day in central Texas and her aunt asked me if I could cut up the watermelon. She left the kitchen and when she came back - "There's a Whale in there!"

So, I thought this would be a fun one to share with you.

A Whale of a Watermelon
Number 20
By: Laura Fowell, inspired by Rose Marie Davidson

Ingredients
A Watermelon
(do you know how to properly "thump" a watermelon - see below)
A really good knife
A sharpie (unless you want to freehand)
 

Directions 

1. Pick a design or just go for it

2. Start cutting along your design

3. Begin cutting deeper into the watermelon to remove the delicious treat



4. Use a melon ball to scoop out the watermelon into nice small round bites (great for little fingers!)

5. Smooth the inside with the side of a spoon.

6. Fill with fruit!
(I personally love filling my boat with watermelon, strawberries,
blackberries, blueberries, and cantaloupe - the colors are beautiful!)

B Flat or Be Square???

Did you know that there are Watermelon Thumping Festivals?
 You've got to love Texas! Check out this festival in Luling!

Ways to enjoy Watermelon...
Just Plain
Marinated with Mint
Marinated with Vodka
Blended and served as a beverage - Watermelon water

What is your favorite way to enjoy a watermelon?

Happy Carving and Happy Cooking!
Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment