Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's a Secret Recipe

I have recently discovered that a dear friend of my has a family recipe blog!


What I love about this blog is not only the recipes but the WONDERFUL family stories. The way the blog is set up allows for family members to post the "family secret recipes" on the blog with a story about the recipe. One evening, I spent several hours just enjoying the stories behind the recipes.

Last week, I tried my first Savoie Secret Family Recipe!

I made the Veggie Pancakes (Number 21) and paired them with the Grit Souffle (Number 22)!

Veggie Pancakes
(Number 21)


As posted on Savoie Secrets: It's a Family Recipe on June 17, 2010

These flavorful pancakes are quite filling and my kids love them. Let’s face it, kids love anything you can dip!
by Elizabeth Savoie Dronet

3/4 cup self-rising white cornmeal
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup flour
7 green onions, sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper (can use less)
salt to taste
vegetable oil for frying

Stir together everything but the oil. Heat about 2 Tbsp of oil in a skillet. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into hot oil. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
 




Grit Souffle
(Number 22)


As posted on Savoie Secrets: It's a Family Recipe on June 19, 2010

Virginia Valentine worked with me at Memorial Hospital during the 1980s. She would bring this to work in the mornings and we would eat it in Styrofoam coffee cups piping hot. Now I make it for Christmas breakfast every year. Sometimes, Rebecca, Kent and I have it for supper on a week night. It’s great.

based on a recipe by Virginia Valentine–Pat’s friend

1 cup grits
4 cups boiling water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
4 oz Velveeta or Cheese Whiz
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Cook grits in water until done. Stir in butter and cheese. Beat the eggs a little and add with the milk and pepper. Bake 325 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.

NOTES : If you don’t like it hot, add less pepper or none at all. You can also omit the garlic powder.


They were wonderful! Hold on to your seats, I am a Southern woman, born and raised and I have never attempted grits. They are such a special part of the South that I was affraid I would ruin them. This recipe walked me through the most delicious grits!


Please check out Savoi Secrets: It's a Family Recipe for the recipes!


Happy Cooking!
Laura




No comments:

Post a Comment